An Eventful Year At Work
2008 was a crazy year for me at work; I'm hoping 2009 turns out to be better!
In Fall 2007 I joined an early stage health benefits company as their Chief Marketing Officer. We had some early successes: promising business development, new products, needed platform improvements, etc. However, in late summer, things began to unwind. I left in September and the company laid off all but skeletal staff a few weeks later. Hopefully the Company can raise funds sometime in 2009 and be able to expand what we invested so much to create.
A learning experience, for sure, at perhaps an inopportune time. Fortunately, this unexpected change has helped me adjust my focus and open my eyes to opportunities I had not considered before. I've spent time on career introspection, developed some new skills, networked, and done some consulting. The downtime has also enabled me to help more at home--a real plus given the big changes there. I've also really enjoying catching up with former colleagues and old friends.
So far, I've had productive discussions with companies in Utah, Chicago, and California, and expect to nail something down within the next month--maybe sooner. I'll post an update to this blog to let you know where I land; if these options don't turn out, I may reach out to you for help in networking. Hopefully, the third time will be the charm, and I'll find a place where I can have fun, learn a lot, and make a big difference for an extended period of time!
For sure, the current economic crises is challenging for many people. If you or your friends are among those looking for new work, please let me know how I can help--whether through networking, search strategy, or just a word or two of advice or encouragement.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I chatted with your wife for a few minutes tonight and it sounds like you're at Omniture, if I understood correctly? Congrats! I know some folks who work there and they all love it.
ReplyDeleteNow, hopefully the NEXT job will bring you guys to California. =)
- Laura Thompson
Austin, please call me. I'd love to catch up!
ReplyDeleteJo Blackford
847.323.7338